Sunday, July 25, 2004

Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.

"DEMOCRACY" by Leonard Cohen*



It's coming to America first,

the cradle of the best and of the worst.

It's here they got the range

and the machinery for change

and it's here they got the spiritual thirst.

It's here the family's broken

and it's here the lonely say

that the heart has got to open

in a fundamental way:

Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.



Sail on, sail on

O mighty Ship of State!

To the Shores of Need

Past the Reefs of Greed

Through the Squalls of Hate

Sail on, sail on, sail on, sail on.



I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean

I love the country but I can't stand the scene.

And I'm neither left or right

I'm just staying home tonight,

getting lost in that hopeless little screen.

But I'm stubborn as those garbage bags

that Time cannot decay,

I'm junk but I'm still holding up this little wild bouquet:

Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.



New York Times Magazine: Wiring the Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy



Guardian (London): Trouble ahead for Bush from 9/11 panel - Commission plans to campaign, not disband



*complete lyrics to Leonard Cohen's "Democracy" (1992)

No comments: