Monday, January 26, 2009

Telling them the truth

I am ... or was ... or will be for a few weeks still ... responsible for a division with about two dozen employees at our organization. As recently as last summer there were more than thirty but in two rounds of last fall and winter I had to lay-off about ten people.

As hard as that was, each time it was a struggle to keep morale and spirits up for those who were continuing in their jobs. There was no hiding the fear in their faces as they filed in for a hastily called meeting. And then the strange conflicting relief and sadness as they realized it wasn't them but it was their friend in the next cubicle.

"There's nothing to be gained by worrying about what might happen. It's beyond any of our control. The best advice I can give you is to do what I'm trying to do: spend your time doing things to make yourself more valuable to the organization," I'd tell them. "And even that might not be enough."

I didn't realize how true that last part was.

This morning I'll meet with my managers group and we'll figure out what we want to say. Then we'll convene another of those hastily called meetings. And they'll leave with conflciting feelings again.

No comments: