Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Done.

Well that wasn't as hard as I'd feared ... that is if you don't mind out-of-body experiences.

My managers and I met this morning and quickly concluded that there was no reason to delay the announcement. Word spreads fast in this organization and rumours would be all over the place by the afternoon. Although I think we all were hoping that if we waited there would be some better reason or explanation, it was better to go with what we know: I'm leaving in a few weeks, most of them are staying for now.

So, we convened the group, three locations, two on conference call, and I just said it: "I met with the new CEO yesterday afternoon and he informed me that my position is being eliminated. March 6th will be my last day with you. The new CEO told me that he has great confidence in the work of our department and will look forward to meeting you as a group sometime next month."

Everyone was great. Most were sad, but they all were quietly relived. I surprised myself at how unemotional I felt.

No comments: